PROTECTION OF THE WALLED TOWN AND ITS RAMPARTS ...
The walled town was built in 1281 by King Philip III (Philip the Bold) to gain a strategic foothold between French & English territory.
THE WALLED TOWN
Acropolis of the Dordogne
The new town covered an area of 150 hectares on the eastern side on the Domme hill, 150 metres above the Dordogne river.
An Exceptional Heritage
The site of the town was of significant defensive importance; to the north the sheer rock face rising above the Dordogne formed a formidable natural deterrent. Paradoxically, this difficult access almost resulted in the failure to populate the town.